Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tribute to Ms. Vivian Olsen









































I met Vivian three years ago when my work transferred me to Colorado Springs. I had never been here before then. One of my boys was living in Hawaii and the other one was in College, so I left my family and friends behind and moved out here alone. At church, the sweetest lady introduced herself to me. Her name was Vivian Olsen. She asked me to come and live with her for a few months while I looked for a house. I moved in and payed her rent. She introduced me to Colorado Springs, she showed me around this beautiful city, introduced me to many of her friends, and made me feel at home when I was in a new place all alone. Our journey's through life crossed and she has been a friend ever since that day we met at church. Today, she passed away. She was a vibrant, active, and independent 85 year old woman that mostly lived alone unless she was taking in strangers like me. Unfortunately, the last couple of months of her life were difficult and the last couple of weeks found her suffering. Fortunately, the last couple of days of her life were peaceful, spent with family and close friends. She loved being outdoors. They transferred her from Memorial to another hospital. Vivian's daughter asked the ambulance driver if he could let her see the sunshine before putting her in the ambulance. There wasn't much sunshine in the parking area of the hospital, so he drove out of the parking area and took her back out of the ambulance to let her enjoy the sunshine one last time. At the new hospital, there were picturesque windows in her room where she could look out and see Pikes Peak. She commented during her last day of life that she felt like she was in Hawaii with that beautiful view. What a sweet, sweet lady. I thought that it would be fitting to hike through Red Rocks Canyon as a tribute to Ms. Vivian where I could gaze upon Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods to relive fond memories of this beautiful, kind lady. I took some pictures of my hike and posted them on this blog. I was a stranger and she took me in. I was hungry and she fed me. I was alone and she loved me, and she made me feel welcome. Vivian, may you rest in peace. We love you. We will never forget you or the legacy you left behind.

2 comments:

  1. Cari,
    We both knew Vivian and I just realized today that she was gone. I was at Nancy Lewis Park and noticed her home being emptied, so I looked her up online and ran into your Blog. She was an awesome lady and I have missed seeing her at the park. Vivian told me things over our visits, that really made me think. I wish I had been in a better frame of mind at the time to really appreciate what she was telling me! You and I also share a love of dogs, hiking and Ute Valley Park. Pinon Valley/Oak Valley has been my home for 14 years until I moved 2.5 years ago. I have made it my goal to "get back home" until the recent fire...it's left me wondering if I shouldn't just let it go?? I always had an uneasy feeling about floodwaters in the area...as well as rattlesnakes. I just hate them! I too, stay clear of the park until they hibernate, but have been missing my hikes up there. Blodgett, too. It's all so surreal and sad. Friends of mine on Savannah haven't been able to return home yet, due to the smoke and ash blowing around. I miss my trips to the Mtn Shadows area and the refreshing cool breezes that used to blow through the trees. I'm 60 years young, with one grown daughter, a disconnected husband and am owned by a white dog named Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your comments. Yes, Vivian just loved walking through that park. She was friendly with everyone. Her and her husband lobbied for that park so that they wouldn't build a grocery store there. They helped get the funds necessary. It will always be a legacy to them. I hear that it was a really nice family that Vivian knew that bought her house and moved in. She would be happy. Well it was nice to hear from you. Enjoy your little white dog. I am still enjoying my medium sized white dog. He is 13 now and not as mobile as he used to be but still loves to hike and walk.

      Delete